12 Comments

1. February 13, 2019 / 11:37 am

Awesome post! I know I’m still on my way to increase my followers number on IG, but surely I’ve already felt many of the crazy algorithms effects. There was a time my numbers just would rise, no matter what I did. Now it’s increasing slowly day by day,but I know it won’t be like this much too long. Just like you, I fancy the idea of shifting from one platform to another. I usually recommend my IG friends who feel somehow unmotivated with their numbers to invest more time in blogs, because the public there is different and it’s good to renew.
    Well, if the numbers weren’t there, though, I’d probably be on Instagram anyway, as in the beginning of times, I was already there and wasn’t really aware of them. 😘

• thebookfamilyrogerson
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 11:46 am

That’s a good recommendation Isa. Instagram still has lots of great points & it’s working brilliantly for some people, but diversification is definitely the healthy way forwards. For the sake of mental stability if nothing else!

2. February 13, 2019 / 1:03 pm

Thank you for your post, I wouldn’t write it better!
    I haven’t realised any followers drop until I watched your stories and yes I’ve noticed big drop of 50 (wish it was other way around) but I try not to check and think on numbers as Instagram is like a rollecoaster game and you never know what the next day will bring you there.
    So instead of getting crazy, the same like you I asked myself question and do anything what gives me joy.

• thebookfamilyrogerson
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 1:25 pm

I’m glad it helped. I didn’t notice the fall until I went on Twitter! Instagram is just a tool so if it’s making you happy then that’s the only thing that matters 🙂

3. February 13, 2019 / 1:28 pm

I really appreciate this post, it’s definitely a bit disheartening to see the drop in followers but I suppose I am glad I’m no longer followed by as many robot accounts!

• thebookfamilyrogerson
      Author
      February 13, 2019 / 1:35 pm

For sure! The bot cull is a good thing because it’s likely that those sleepers will have been curbing your reach. It’s still a shock though & further underlines the irritating randomness of IG.

4. Carol
    February 13, 2019 / 6:21 pm

I’m glad you mentioned the bot purge because my followers suddenly dropped by 30 😱 now I won’t take it personally!

• thebookfamilyrogerson
      Author
      February 14, 2019 / 5:58 pm

Definitely don’t take it personally! It seems as if it was a glitch rather than a bot purge today. It’s hard to keep up!

5. simpsonsisters
    February 14, 2019 / 10:25 am

“Is the platform serving me or am serving it?” This is the question I ask myself increasingly often…. This is a really thoughtful, well balanced post Mel and while I’m not part of the bookstagrammer community my greatest pleasure from the platform has been meeting those in my corner of the platform in real life. This alone justifies my loyalty to the platform for now 🙂 x

• thebookfamilyrogerson
      Author
      February 14, 2019 / 6:02 pm

I absolutely agree Vanessa! The friendships are the best thing about being on IG. Likes and follows are all very well but pretty empty without interaction with the community x

6. February 14, 2019 / 3:40 pm

Such a great post. I think it is easy to get disheartened, but sometimes it’s for positive reasons and it’s good to get back to the real world xx

• thebookfamilyrogerson
      Author
      February 14, 2019 / 6:04 pm

For sure! The platform can steal all of our time without realising if we let it. It’s good to have other focuses! x